NWT has ‘no plans to pursue’ basic income guarantee program

Cabin Radio

NWT social and environmental justice coalition Alternatives North released a proposal earlier this month outlining a delivery model for a basic income guarantee in the territory. 

The group said the program, in place of income assistance, could eliminate poverty and urged the NWT and federal governments to support the idea.

In a statement to Cabin Radio on Wednesday, employment minister Caitlin Cleveland said her department was reviewing the report and the “valuable insights” it provided.

She said, however, that the department has no plans to implement the proposal as it made improvements to the territory’s income assistance program in 2024.

To read more, click here.